24/7 MOMS

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Day 3 - National Turn off the TV Week

"Ring, Ring" Went my cell phone while out shopping with daughter #2. The call had arrived from #2 Son Caleb who was calling to beg, plead and even toss in a few tears asking me to allow him to watch TV. I stood strong and gently told him "No", that he needed to go outside and play or find Daddy to help him discover what he could do besides watching TV. The call ended with my still hearing sniff sniff and a sad good bye from Caleb.

Once home Dad reported that Caleb came outside and helped him in the garden, but never said a word about the call. WHEW! we survived with not to many tears...withdraws are never easy.

I did get one more phone call - this one came Son #3 Nate-no " Mom, can we continue our game of monopoly without you?" - "Yes" I told him and as I hung up I was excited that they were discovering on their own what to do with their no TV time.

Today, the boys also got to enjoy their FREE Ben & Jerry's Ice cream on an outing with Dad.

Now, to survive Day 3 - This AM will be interesting as it is a late start school day so typically my children like to watch TV with the extra time they have. After school Caleb has a baseball game so that will keep the boys busy. Savannah has show rehearsal so no time for TV for and Shelby will have plenty of time to run her errands, chores and homework.

Personally, I am loving not hearing that Talking Box in my house this week.

How is your NO TV week going?

.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know it was National Turn Off TV Week, I might try it for a day.

Tina, Mom of 2

April 22, 2009 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

We've survived without too much problems; it seems to be a busy week, so there's not been much down time. Add to that it's beautiful outside, so we've spent much time outside.

I love the quiet, but honestly, I've wanted to turn it on in the afternoons when it seems like we're having to work too much to have the boys (I've got three) get along...that's my easy crutch, I guess. I told the kids this week was just as much for me. It's like a detox week!

April 22, 2009 at 6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been TV-free for almost a year now. It's been great!

April 22, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home