2 Quick 4th of July Desserts
Makes 12 Servings
from: Duncan Hines
1 (3 oz) pkg red flavor gelatin
1 (8 oz) container whipped topping
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1 pint strawberries
1 cup blueberries
1 cup miniature marshmallows
aluminum foil/fancy foil - color of your choice
star shaped stickers
miniature American candy flags
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease and flour a 13x9-inch pan.
- Prepare, bake and cool cake according to package directions.
- Use a large fork to make holes in the cake about every 1/2-inch.
- Pour gelatin into a large bowl. Add boiling water and mix until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in cold water. Pour gelatin over the cake allowing it to run into the holes.
- Refrigerate cake for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
- Cover a cake tray with aluminum foil then place on tray to decorate.
- Frost the sides and top with whipped topping. Then arrange strawberries, blueberries and marshmallows on the cake to create a 'stars & stripes' pattern. Use the blueberries to create a blue background in the upper left hand corner.
- Take your foil stars and miniature American flags and decorate the sides of the cake. Once you have finished decorating the cake, place in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
Make 1 flag: 48 standard and 48 mini cupcakes
from : Duncan Hines
48 Standard vanilla cupcakes baked in white paper liners
6 Mini vanilla cupcakes baked in white paper liners
42 Mini vanilla cupcakes baked in red paper liners
3 cans (16 ounces) Vanilla frosting, blue and red food coloring
Assorted red and white candies such as:
Swedish Fish, regular and mini
Fruit leather (Fruit by the Foot)
Candy-coated chocolates, regular and mini (M&M’s)
Gumdrops and spice drops
Sprinkles and jimmies
Gumballs and gum rectangles (Chiclets)
Licorice Pastels, licorice laces, nibs, and twists
Sour strips and fruit chews (Sour Power Belts, Sour Patch Kids)
- 1 ¾ cups of the vanilla frosting blue with the food coloring. Tint 2 cups of the vanilla frosting red with the food coloring.
- Spread the blue frosting on the tops of 12 of the standard cupcakes and the 6 mini cupcakes in white liners and smooth. Arrange the white candies on top in decorative designs.
- Spread the red frosting on the tops of the 42 mini cupcakes in red liners and smooth. Arrange the red candies on top in decorative designs. Spread the remaining 36 standard cupcakes with the remaining vanilla frosting and smooth.
- Starting at the bottom of the flag, arrange 3 rows across the 8 white-frosted cupcakes on a large serving platter or cutting board. Arrange the top 3 rows with 4 blue-frosted and 4 white-frosted cupcakes. Make sure all the cupcakes are touching one another. Place the mini red cupcakes between the rows of white-frosted cupcakes; 2 rows of 12 bridging the bottom 3 rows and 3 rows of 6 bridging the top 3 rows. Place the 6 mini blue cupcakes in between the rows of blue-frosted cupcakes.